Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Kids Are Kids.

The title of this post may have you thinking, "Well, duh!" 
I want to begin this post by expressing how incredibly thankful I am to be teaching here in Kinmen. If I would have dreamed about teaching abroad, I would have dreamed of a place/school like this. There are obstacles, it's not all hunky dory. I get frustrated. Overwhelmed, of course. I love my students and coworkers. I know I will have great stories to tell when I get home about all I have learned. I want to apologize in advance to my family & friends...you'll have an ear full if you haven't already. :) Anyways, in previous posts I have mentioned that the students are also kids. I want to explain why I realized that kids in America are not all that different than kids here in Taiwan. Today, I had the chance to watch some of my classes play "baseball". They have the same positions as American baseball, but they use a tball stand, no gloves, and a soft ball (the material is soft...not an actual soft ball). I watched as they cheered one another on, ran the bases, and cried when they struck out. These kids are not just my students. They are not just somebody's child. They are the future leaders of this country or wherever life takes them. That may sound cliché, but oh well. They get mad when they strike out. They get excited when they hit a triple. I think teachers can get wrapped up in the idea of teaching...all the cool activities, the sales on materials, the good evaluations...that sometimes they forget to love on their kids like they desperately need. Cheer them on, watch them advance in their academics and be there for them when they hit a foul or strike out...for the sixth time in a row. Teaching at them and to them are different. I cannot speak for every teacher, only what I have learned in my brief time in this profession so far. I am not an expert, no sir. I believe that the students we have need to feel loved and are lovingly disciplined. 

I believe that teaching students of a nationality other than my own is stretching me and teaching me to see students...and people for that matter in a different way. They need somebody to believe in them. To fully, hard core, genuinely believe in them. Sometimes they do not feel that when they are making that super cute Christmas card activity you planned. Sometimes they need more than a smiley face in their notebook. Differentiation is key. Some students will express gratitude for days because of the smiley you drew for them. Others throw the paper away and move on. Find what works for each child. It is such a challenge, especially having an average of 30 students per class here. I am making it a priority to pour into them as much as I possibly can and letting them know that even if I can't say "I believe in you" in Mandarin, I can show them.

These kids are kids. They laugh. They cry. They groan when they get an assignment they do not like. They cheer when they get free time as a result of good behavior. They feel. Whether in Taiwan, America, Ireland...wherever: Kids need hope. Be that hope. Be that teacher who stays up at night worrying about them. Believe in them. It is mind-blowing how rewarding it can be. It keeps me going, how about you? Are you putting in 110% when you have a day that feels like the maximum you can put in is 70%...50%? It is worth it. These students need every ounce of encouragement and love we can offer. Strive to make their feelings a priority. Teaching entails SO much more than teaching.

Have a look at one definition a quick Google search turned up: 

show or explain to (someone) how to do something.
educate, instruct, school, tutor, coach, train, enlighten, illuminate, verse, edify,
 indoctrinate, drill, discipline, train, show, guide, instruct, 
explain to, demonstrate to

No comments:

Post a Comment