Thursday, April 28, 2016

Time.


Lately, I have been listening to songs with the central theme of time: time passing too quickly, missing out on an opportunity/person and wishing you had more time, etc. I realize I only have about 2 months left teaching in Taiwan. Crazy. This time last year, I was anticipating graduation. It turns out you can't really slow down life. It happens whether it has your permission or not. Did I think I would be teaching in another state after graduation, sure. Another country, definitely not. Boy, am I glad things worked out the way they have. In God's perfect timing, things are just as they should be according to His plan...not mine. I have met the love of my life and we are planning a life together. Perfect timing. We have been incredibly stressed & overwhelmed lately trying to prioritize and figure out all of the processes for the government & legal "stuff". It is exhausting. Hey, if teaching falls through for any reason, I should look into becoming an Immigration Attorney (seriously though). Time is fragile. Sometimes it stands still, sometimes you do not know where it went. The people, chances, and lessons involved in time are countless. I have many loved ones back home and I realized I will have missed SO MANY birthdays by the time I get home. That is tough, especially missing the tenth birthday of a little girl whom I love so dearly. 10. That's a big one. Time does not stop. I am learning and living here as everyone 8,000 miles from me is doing. 

If I had things the way I wanted, it would not be the way my Heavenly Father wants. I want what He wants. He knows my heart and situation better than anyone. His timing is perfect. His plans are perfect. Bringing me to a new country to teach has taught me more things than I can explain. Time is tricky. "If I just had more time" is something we all probably think/say but coming to the realization that we have all the time we could possibly need is important. The Earth does not stop spinning because we are late to a meeting, lose a loved one, or take things for granted. It goes on. Time keeps going. That watch or wall clock keeps ticking. Every second passing by. What are we doing with all of this time we have been given? I am talking to myself here too, don't worry. Taking just one minute to sit with a student who appears to be upset can mean the world to them. Just a minute. Even if you do not speak the same language, concern can be felt. Love can be felt. Take the time. 

There are so many people who do so much more than me. Their plates are not just full, they are overflowing. How I wish they could take a breath and realize how great life is, how great it could be. Taking time to see things differently can be healing on varying levels. Time goes on. There is a sunrise every morning and a sunset every evening. What are you doing with the time between? You do not have to try to end world hunger in one day. Little things matter. Holding the door for an elderly woman matters even if you are in a hurry and know holding that door for even 30 seconds will make you late. Be late. Time seems to be on your side sometimes, sometimes it seems to be your greatest enemy. Take it all as it comes. Spending time with somebody for as little as a few seconds to lending a listening ear for a few hours...that can be life changing in and of itself. 

As I write this, I realize I have some papers to print before my next class. You see, some may see this as wasting time, but for me personally it is several things. Comforting, soothing, helpful, healing. Do whatever you want with your time -  just know, what other people do with theirs may seem odd to you, but if they are doing it to better themselves/others then so be it. Let time go on. Like I said, it does not need our permission to do so. The time on your clock keeps advancing. How fortunate we are with all of this time we have been given.


No comments:

Post a Comment