Thursday, October 29, 2015

Noise.

Warning: If you're not a teacher this post has the potential to be boring or irrelevant...sorry. 
Now, all of us teachers have classroom management strategies that work well...annnnnd some that do not work so well. Since school started, I have tried to remember all of the ones I was taught in college. There are many. Many that have the potential to work fabulously...in a predominantly English speaking classroom that is. Mmm...obstacle for my current state, not really Opportunity, actually. Since being here, I have had to alter my thinking and take on classroom management. I have introduced several that have failed miserably or partly (and if it partly fails, it fails entirely in my book because it has to be pretty darn close to 100% to be effective). Well, my friends, for about 3 solid weeks now I have found one strategy that works in 8/10 of my classes [[still working on the remaining two]]. I will share it with you because I am so proud of my students for understanding how it works & making a decision to remember that I will follow through with consequences if necessary.

NOISE

What?? The bell rings. We bow and signal the start of class. First thing, I pick up the chalk (yes, chalk...we have chalkboards!) and write on the top right corner "NOISE" All capital letters. The N and O are in one color and the I, S, and E are in a different color. For some of my classes, I write "Minutes: ___" directly under it. I'll get to that in a minute, read on. 

You work backwards - If students are talking while I am talking, I erase a letter...beginning with E. When working in small groups or on projects and they get too loud, I erase a letter. When the E, S, and I are no longer on the board, the only letters left are "NO" See. NOISE. 2 minutes. No talking. Timer begins. If they talk, I write the number 1 next to Minutes and this is how long they will practice being quiet and respectful after class. Talking continues...2...3...etc. (They have 10 minutes between classes, so technically I could go to 10 if necessary- I have only had to go to 3 so far). If it is only one or two students being disruptive, I write their individual numbers on the board so the whole class is not penalized. If they correct their behavior, I erase the number of minutes they have to practice. Two minutes is up. I rewrite the I, S, and E. Begin again. The majority of my classes are so stinking quick to correct their volume as soon as I pick up the eraser and move it towards the letters. Immediate praise. Yes!

I did learn this strategy while in college, but like most things in teaching, it has to be tweaked for each class or situation. It is not a one size fits all. What I've found in my particular situation, finding something that works for 30 students has been a considerable challenge. It may not seem like that many more than the typical class size in the states, but it makes a huge difference. {& the fact English is not their native language & I did not go to school to study and learn to teach ESL}

Well, there ya have it. My proud teacher moment/classroom management approach that the students accepted and respond to consistently. I have a lot of learning to do yet. Trial & error. Bring it on.

**Please, if you have any tips, advice, support, ideas to share send them my way! As far as classroom management goes, I am a sponge these days! I've received some suggestions, but please keep in mind what my classrooms look like- vastly different than the ones in the states. The dynamic is not the same. If you want me to paint you a better picture, please ask!**



5 comments:

  1. That is great Danni!! Always looking for ideas for classroom management with no Chinese!! I think I will try this one!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was trying to find nonverbal ways to get my expectations across and this works fantastically!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I was trying to find nonverbal ways to get my expectations across and this works fantastically!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! I was trying to find nonverbal ways to get my expectations across and this works fantastically!

      Delete