Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Be All In.

I have been trying to be more observant of my surroundings here. I think I got very wrapped up in the idea of living in a new country that I have been forgetting to actually, fully, completely, live in it. I love learning. The whole concept of learning amazes me. More so, I am considered a teacher, but throughout my education I have been told, {Even when you are a teacher, you will be learning.} Mhm - sure. Yeah. Whatever you say. 

Well...they were right. They have always been right. I am learning. Brains are spectacular, am I right or am I right? The amount of information presented to us on a daily basis is overwhelming, yet we process it. Some information quicker, better, more effective than other information. I have been reminded that often times learning is hard. It stretches you until you think you will break. To some information, I would rather say "Nah, I'm good- don't wanna take that in right now." But, I am growing in ways I didn't realize I could or had to grow in. It is amazing to me. I have been so frustrated and so overwhelmed, but honestly - I would not want it any other way. This is life. This is my life. This is now. I am choosing to be all in. What benefit is there if I am not? What am I keeping from my students if I am not?

Everybody learns differently. Everybody learns at different times. Everybody learns.

Well, dear students of mine...I know how you feel. You are learning. I am learning. We have more in common than we probably both thought. When I have one of those proud teacher moments because a student finally "got it" or has shown success in some way (big or small), I can relate. When I finally "get it" or am able to use my frustrations to grow...it is rewarding. I do not have it easy as some might think. This is hard. I would by lying if I said I have not thought about throwing in the towel already. There have been classes I just wanted to walk out of. Dealing with the government and official paperwork has been exhausting {mentally and emotionally exhausting.} I suppose you can say moments like those were "teachable moments". I was taught that teachable moments were those times a student acted in a certain way and the teacher took advantage of the situation and helped them to learn something from it. Well, I have been the recipient of teachable moments. A lot of them. Stressed? Fall? Cry? Fail? Confused? Uncertain? All of the above situations. Am I doing what I encourage and teach my students to do -- learn from it? 

This whole learning thing could teach us a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Well stated, Danni! I think the teacher always learns more than the student when we're open to continue growing. He who is more than able to handle every situation perfectly, will carry you through the rough times, if you cast your cares on Him. He loves you more than you can imagine. Have a blessed week! Dr. Albee

    ReplyDelete