Monday, October 5, 2015

Dear Students.

I have seen a few letter-to-my-younger-self sorta things. I like them. A lot. I want to give it a go, but not necessarily to myself. Geared towards my students. Keep in mind, I am teaching something I never imagined or dreamed of, so the challenges and obstacles vary depending on the teaching position you have accepted. 

Dear students my kids (Is that weird? Let's stick with students...I don't even know you yet)...students,
     It's my first year here. It's my first year living in another country. This year will be jam packed FULL of firsts for me. Please be patient with me. I am determined to teach you to the best of my ability- you don't deserve any less. Keep in mind I was taught how to teach American other students. It is hard for me. I am definitely up for this challenge. You deserve it. If some days I look exhausted and frustrated, well, it's because I am. You are going to teach me a lot this year believe it or not. Technically I am your teacher, but dear students, you are just as much [if not more] my teachers. I know some days you come to school and you don't want to be here. You're tired. Hungry. Frustrated. Angry. Overwhelmed. Misunderstood. Lonely. But, let me assure you - and hear me here - you are cared for. Appreciated. Valued. Seen. Loved. I will do my best to show you that in every class & outside of class. You deserve my best. I intend to give it to you. So, if my best does not look like your homeroom teacher's best, I am sorry. I can only do so much with the knowledge and education I have been able to receive. If you don't understand that, that's okay. If you act out and say hurtful things...that's not your best. I want your best. I will put things in place so you can achieve great things (big & small). I will discipline you because I love you. I know that will be near impossible to grasp, but that's okay. Just know I am not "out to get you". I care about you. Deeply. I care about your education. I care that you didn't get much sleep last night and I know there is a reason. I might not know every detail, but I know everybody has their own battles and struggles in and out of the school walls. Myself included. Please work with me, not against me. We are in this together - all year. You and me. Us. I will mess up. I will lose track of time. I will forget my lesson objective. I will forget to bring paper. 
I will fail, but I will not fail you.
    Did you hear me there? I will fail time and time again, but I will not fail you. I will not give up on you. I will not love you any less. I will not turn my back on you. I will not stop believing in you. It will be exhausting both physically and mentally, so please be patient and understanding. At the end of the day, I will smile. At the end of the week, I will smile. At the end of the year, I will smile and cry. I am here for you. This whole language thing stinks, yes, but a smile can go a long way. When you tell me "thank you" it is a huge reassurance for me. Please tell me how you feel, and yes, even when you don't understand or are frustrated. We are in this together. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. As the year progresses, you will become more than my students. I will refer to you as my kids. I hope you are okay with that. I am excited to be on this journey with you. I hope you feel the same about me.

Your scared-but-excited-and-overwhelmed-on-every-imaginable-level Teacher.