Thursday, October 8, 2015

Dear Former Teachers.


Recently, I wrote a letter to my students. Now, I know they will never read it & it is near impossible for me to read it to them (language barrier and all). It was one of those "jump on the bandwagon while ya can" things. So, I wanted to write one to the teachers I have had during my own schooling. Some of them will have the chance to read this & I hope they take every word I write as truth- because every word will be just that. Full. Of. Truth. They deserve to hear that they made a difference. They had an impact. 

   God has placed educators in my life at the perfect time and they have walked with me through different parts of my journey. They poured into me in different ways that have led me to where I am today. They each played a significant role. Even the teachers who I did not like, whatever my reasoning was, I thank them as well. I know what kind of teacher I want to be - and what kind I do not want to be. 
   I am incredibly blessed that I am able to stay in contact with several of my High School teachers & University Professors. They still care. I have left the comfort and familiarity of their classrooms and they are still a major part of my life. I have been able to refer to them as my mentors and confide in them about so many things (big & small). They took the time to listen to me. To ask questions that had substance & depth. They truly cared -- and still do. I have seen how they have taken time out of their incredibly busy schedules to simply talk with me. Whether it be about an assignment or life in general. They were there. Present. Available. For that, I am beyond grateful. I saw them take in interest in their students. It was not a 7:00-3:00 job. Concern and care stretched way beyond the classroom walls. I noticed. Others noticed. They have helped me to form my philosophy of education and always pointed me in the right direction [and yes, even when I needed re-direction because I was stubborn]. I have been pushed to do better until it was my best, corrected in loving ways to help me grow, and inspired in ways I cannot describe. 
  
                                                                                                             

Dear former teachers who have INSPIRED me,

   I saw you exhausted. I saw you frustrated. I saw you confused. I saw you aggravated. :: I saw you push through. I saw you conquer things in your personal life to be able to give 110% in your professional life. I saw you love - deeply. I saw you care. I saw you listen. I saw you smile when I knew it took every fiber of your being to do so. For that, I want to thank you {wholeheartedly thank you}. You have impacted my life in various ways. When I say "thank you", please know I mean it with all of my heart. When I am in the classroom, I often think, "What would ___ do?" or "What did I learn about this from ___?" Your influence has traveled with me to another country - cool, right? Go, you! When you have bad days...and I know you do, please remember that you are touching lives in such magnificent ways. You are making such a difference. Keep it up. People find inspiration in the things you do, the things you say - how you care so intensely and honestly. Thank you for following your heart and dreams to become a teacher. You are appreciated.

P.S. Even though I say "former", you are continuing to teach me. Every day. Every message you send. Every e-mail. Every time we talk. You are still teaching me.

Thank you. A million and a half times, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment