Monday, September 21, 2015

What Are You Learning?

The title of this post is a question I have been asked more than I expected. Now, I know when you teach you are not only teaching- you are learning...A LOT. But, for some reason I did not expect to hear this as much as I have. I have had to take in a lot of culturally different things, so when I am asked this I assume it is about living in a new country, but no. What they want to know is school-related. Which is fantastic! I would have to say what I have learned about the country/culture/way of life is not near as significant as what I have learned about school so far. While I am in school- teaching, planning, talking- I am still learning about the culture of course. A word I have used a lot, and probably overused is [different]. I only student taught in the states, so my professional experience is limited, but I know enough to compare it to where I am now. There are things I like better here as well as things I like better stateside. Personal preference I am sure. 
Somebody recently asked me if I have been able to use anything I learned in {name of class here} and I immediately said THE TEACHER LOOK! It works worldwide. Hooray! There have definitely been other theories I have had to refer to and management techniques I have seen and tried, but the teacher look is my favorite. :) I think what that comes down to is this: I studied in the states. I learned how students in the states learn and respond to authority. I taught in the states. Here's the beauty of being here- kids are still kids. They desire love, attention, approval, redirection, and success. The ugly language barrier can be beautiful at times because when I struggle to verbally communicate with them, I can still show them what I expect, or that I care about them. You don't always need words for that.

Is this easy? No. Would I want to be anywhere else? No
What am I learning? To trust the frustration and hold tight to the successes no matter how small.

No comments:

Post a Comment