Thursday, May 5, 2016

Faith.

Consider this your warning: This post is about our journey so far with the U.S. Visa my fiance is in the process of obtaining. If that does not interest you, go ahead and click that little X on the top right. You won't offend anyone I promise. :) Some of you have asked, so here is most of it.

There is a lot of acronyms, if you can't follow don't worry. I hope you get the main points, though.

We began this Visa process in December 2015. "You weren't even engaged then." Yes, I hear you & to that I say - I know. We knew where our relationship was headed and my now fiance wanted to ask my mom for permission face-to-face when she visited Taiwan in February. So, with that being said...we started the paperwork for this Fiance Visa (yes, that's what it's actually called) in December. I did a lot of researching and found out that the wait time from start to finish was crazy long hence why we agreed that the sooner the better. We gathered all the necessary paperwork, evidence of our relationship, family information, etc. and filled out the lonnnng packet of papers. We sent it to Texas.

The wait began: Waiting for what's called 1st Notice of Action (NOA1)

I included a specific paper that was basically intended for whoever got our packet of information to email and text me saying Texas had received it. I waited for that email. That text. Nothing. In mid-January, they send the petition (it's called a petition-based Visa because they are approved or denied by U.S. government) from Texas back to my home address in the states saying I sent the incorrect fee. Cue frustration. Obviously, it did not matter how many sources I consulted beforehand about the correct amount...it ended up being incorrect. So, the correct fee was sent back with our petition to Texas the very next day. Within the first week of February, we got a "Receipt Notice" telling us they took our money (they used more professional, government-like language).
**lots of calls and emails to/from the Texas USCIS center

Our petition was sent to the California Service Center.
**lots of calls and emails to/from the CA Center now

More waiting: Waiting for what's called 2nd Notice of Action - aka the APPROVAL NOTICE (NOA2)

We were provided with a long number to track the progress of the petition. That sounds great, right? Ehh, not really. It did not provide near enough information to warrant finding the right site & typing in the number every time. I did though. On March 31st, I checked the status and to my surprise the bold letters at the top read "My case has been approved" HOORAY!! It was approved on March 30th, 2016! This 2nd Notice of Action came by email and snail mail and we were informed that the petition was being sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire. [[this thing has almost been in more states than me]]

More waiting: Waiting to hear from the NVC and get what's called a Case Number

This was the most frustrating time. I called California and the NVC almost daily asking if they had received it. I mean, it was only going from CA to NH surly it cannot take too long. Boy, was I wrong. On a day like any other, I called and they said "We just got it yesterday, do you want your case number?" YES YES YES! That day was May 3rd....[March 30th - May 2nd...5 long weeks] From the NVC, it is sent to Taipei! We figured there would be much more waiting. I logged onto yet another site to track it with our new case number and it says "In Transit". That means it is on its way to the U.S. embassy in Taiwan (American Institute in Taiwan: AIT). When Taipei receives it, they send my fiance another pack of papers and we get the interview scheduled...SOON!

Here we are, waiting. Our packet of papers that began in Kinmen, Taiwan is coming back to Taipei, Taiwan to get my fiance his U.S. Visa.

As soon as we schedule his interview, we can make travel plans and set a wedding date! I think I speak for both of when I say the uncertainties as far as travel is what's most frustrating.

We have filled out many forms, sent them to many agencies and have had constant communication with government officials inquiring about the status of this thing. :) The waiting and frustration is so worth it knowing every day we wait, we are one day closer to becoming husband and wife and we have one more day to trust that God is in complete control. We have faith in this. Faith that God knows what's best. Faith that what we have done so far will be worth it. Faith that our strength comes from Him when we feel defeated or lost. One step at a time, hand in hand...we will get through this and begin our lives together as Mr. and Mrs. Soon enough.

Thanks for reading, guys. If this doesn't pertain to you at all- kudos. If you know somebody going through a similar situation with a U.S. Visa process, I ask you send this to them in the hopes it can help. I learned many things from reading others' blogs and timelines online.

12/20/15 Sent to TX
1/11/16 Incorrect Fee/Returned to Petitioner
1/12/16 Correct Fee and Petition sent to TX
2/4/16 NOA1
3/30/16 NOA2
5/2/16 NVC Receives and assigns Case Number
5/3/16  In Transit to Taipei

....and we continue the wait.

Well, well, well....I figured I would track it before I posted this blog and guess what...our case is now in TAIPEI! Ready for an interview!! If you want to be updated, let me know :) :) :)

How does a packet of paper get from New Hampshire to Taipei, Taiwan faster than it went from California to New Hampshire....?

That's all for now. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment