Thursday, June 23, 2016

Next Time.


I have 1 week left with my students. 7 days. Back in February, I thought there was no end in sight. The end is in plain sight now and it's scary. I do not really want to leave, but I am so ready to go. I have a wedding to plan and that can be time consuming. One of my students came to my office today and gave me a present. A beautiful music box with a heart felt card (with perfect English might I add). It was incredibly sweet. About 7 students came with her when she presented it to me and I was so close to crying. No, stay strong. They have a way of effecting me I did not think possible.

Some classes have learned a few sentences from their Taiwanese English teacher that they will say at the end of class: "Thank you teacher. See you next time. Have a nice day." The class that the student mentioned above is in does not say that, but I still say "See you next time" to all of my classes.

At the bottom of her card, she wrote "See you next time!"

I do not know when next time might be, but I was so moved by her words.

My students are generous, thoughtful, accepting, and so loving. With every card, cake, seaweed, keychain, porcelain dog, chocolate, or hug I accept I am holding back the tears. I am not one to show emotion much, but my students this year have gotten through to me on a level that's difficult to get to. If this is a preview for what the rest of my teaching career looks like, Lord help me to keep it together, or fall apart at the appropriate time.

I am beyond excited for the next part of my life with my soon-to-be husband. This part of my life (this chapter, if you will) was worth all the obstacles and redirection it took to get the chapter written. This adventure has been just that...an amazing, messy, beautiful adventure.

This year has been phenomenal. I have grown so much as an educator and as an individual. I will take what I learned here in Kinmen, Taiwan with me wherever God leads me next.


No comments:

Post a Comment