Monday, December 21, 2015

When It Rains, It Pours.

Four days. Christmas is in four days. 4. F-O-U-R. I am still in school. Still teaching. What a strange feeling. I have decided to take Christmas day as a personal day. Here, the students know about Christmas. The stores sell Christmas cards, hats, decorations, etc. But all businesses are still open on December 25. School is still in session. I have had the privilege of using all this time in school to teach my classes about Christmas in different countries. It is more "real" teaching about Christmas when it is so close to Christmas. Does that make sense? Hmm..anyways. Speaking of the "real" feel of Christmas, did I mention that it does not snow here? Not a single snowflake. I understand some places back home are in the 50's and it does not have that "real" feel of winter & Christmas. I am experiencing so many feelings, asking so many questions, and pondering a lot this season. Isn't everyone? Having no family with me is another strange feeling. I know people go Christmas after Christmas without friends or family. I have never {put myself in their shoes} sorta speak before. I am now. It is very real to me. I love being here. I love what I am doing. I love having the ability to share it. I think the saying, "When it rains, it pours" can be incredibly true sometimes. I like the picture I found when I typed it into google:


Yes. Yes. Yes. I might say "Despite all of my feelings, I am keeping my head above water", but instead I will say BECAUSE of all of my feelings, I am keeping my head above water. I am thankful for every bump in the road, every sharp turn, every dead end. They help me reevaluate my direction and see things more clearly. They lead to green lights, merging, and freshly paved roads. Teaching is an adventure. Living abroad is an adventure. What a combination. Bring on the rain (and snow, that would be a nice touch). I am amazed daily by the things [[big and small]] I am learning...whether I want to or not. I can tell you one thing I have learned...or just recognized recently- a teacher's heart is noticeable from miles away. Nationality, language, whatever... does not stand in the way of recognizing the love, affection, drive, and impact an educator has day in & day out. I may not understand a word coming from their mouths, but I can see their heart. Wow. 

Teaching is such an incredible calling. An amazing gift. 
They come prepared...umbrella and rain boots. I admire these teachers. 
I work alongside them where I am now and know many stateside. 
Some even bring extra umbrellas for those students they know need it...they touch hearts.
This Christmas, I am choosing to worry a little less and love a little lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment